Sunday, July 24, 2011

America! America! God Shed His Grace on Thee...

So I've been in the states for like a week and a half now. It's safe to say that I've adjusted quite well back to the lifestyle I was accustomed to. I've really gotten some quality time with friends and family. It really is amazing how fast we can pick up where we left off and I just love it! I've visited Target several times and done my part to contribute to the local economy. Wal-Mart surely appreciates that I'm back. Teacher Heaven was also very happy to see me as we had a nice little reunion.

Somehow though, I feel different. You can't see it, but I am different. I have been living a very calm, simple life in Honduras. I haven't even been to Starbucks once, now if that doesn't show you how different I am-I don't know what will! It's the little things that overwhelm me. Like convenience stores and grocery stores. There are just so many options there!! I like options, especially when it comes to food, but come one! I can only focus on what I go in for, no deviating from the plan. Otherwise I'm likely to come out with a new lunch bag, cute baskets, and video games. And I don't even own a gaming system. It's like that.

On the other hand, I like finding little surprises that remind me of Honduras. These things comfort me. They include: the bachata music they were playing outside of Wal-Mart, the reggeaton channel on AT&T U-verse (thankyouforthat AT&T!), crazy drivers, and ANY Spanish speakers. I know it sounds silly, but these people are my brothers and sisters. I'm not sure they see it that way, but oh well. You can't choose your family.

3 comments:

Kel said...

So glad to see you blogging again. Ha! I can't wait until I get to ATX and get to see you on Thursday!!!!!

Lacey said...

Yay? So when are N and kids coming? Thursday too?

Anonymous said...

I just read this blog and I love it! I feel the exact same way when I go back to the States. Living abroad changes you forever. It's a unique and amazing experience! I am so happy that we both get to experience this at the same time...even though we are having different experiences, it's kinda the same, no?

Chachi