Sunday, September 12, 2010

Homeless

Or at least address-less.

Just recently I cashed in some traveler checks. Yeah, not as easy as you would think. First of all, our bank here in Zamorano couldn't do it. Ok, we were going into Tegucigalpa anyway. Whatever. So at Citibank in the mall, we asked about these majestic things called "cheques de viajeros". They couldn't do it and sent us on our way to another bank. So we're waiting in line only to be sent to the desk section of the bank and talk to some lady and then stand in line again to cash these damn checks. Not the end of the world. Some people don't even have water to drink. Or have legs. Some people don't even have legs!! And here I am complaining about these damn checks and how to get my $100 from America. Yes, I see how it looks. But that's not the point of my post.

Here is the point of my post: we have no address here. Like no physical address. While Naomi and I were standing in line the second time to get my checks cashed, we were discussing this. I had to give an address and phone number. The address was Zamorano, the phone number was the one on the hand-me-down phone Naomi gave me when I got here.

We have a Miami address where we get mail. Then the campus has to get it, go through it then send it on to us. That takes about 2-3 weeks. As far as location purposes, we live in the "casa pequena", or the second to the last house in Campus Alto. Naomi lives in the "casa grande", or the house right past the postal (guard post) in Campus Alto.

Crazy, right?? I don't get any mail. Like, none. I'm sure the amount of mail I'm getting in the states is more than making up for my lack of mail here. It's kind of like a secret that I'm here.

Don't tell anyone, ok?!

PS-please don't let the mail system stop you from sending care packages. I love me some care packages. :)

No comments: