There are moments that I can forget that I've packed up my whole life (into five! bags thankyouverymuch) and moved. Today there was a moment where I remembered suddenly and kind of laughed/panicked to myself.
My class is starting pen pals with another class in the states. It's with a teacher who volunteered at the school several years ago. She is also teaching 3rd grade. We started drafting our letters today. It went a little like this...
As I'm modeling my letter, I start out writing "Dear Mrs. Smith,". Then I had the kids write to their pen pal. One kid wrote "Dear Mr. Greg,". I stopped to explain that Mr. is for adults and his pen pal is a kid, so no Mr. needed. He just smiled at me the whole time I was explaining it to him and totally made me laugh out loud.
Some of the kids are writing about their favorite foods. They wrote that pupusas are their favorite. So I had to stop and explain to them that before I came here I didn't know what they were, so they might need to explain. Pupusas, for those that don't know, are tortillas with cheese, beans, chicharrones or veggies inside. Kind of like a quesadilla, but different at the same time.
So they continued writing and one was thinking out loud, "Wait! Do they know what pizza is?!" Ahhh. Honduras.
Monday, September 13, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment