Thursday, September 30, 2010

Aren't Honduran accents wonderful?

Why yes, they are. One day in the not-too-distant past I was telling my class to flip the line. That means change direction, but stay in the same order. God forbid we get out of our line order. No really, I mean it. Line order is major in our class. At least for me anyway. I think they just humor me with sticking to it knowing how much I enjoy everybody in their little place. And I love how they tattle tell on anyone who dares mess with the line order.

Anyway I tell them to flip it, and some aren't listening. So they start policing themselves telling the ones that aren't listening what to do. Like, ten of them. It's kind of fun to watch. So then it becomes a screaming match of "Fleeeep eeeet! Fleeeeep eeeet!". Okay, maybe not screaming, but loud talking.

So I, in my best Honduran accent, jump on the "Fleeeep eeet!" bandwagon and start telling them. They are English Language Learners after all. About three minutes later, the line was "fleeeped" and we all made it to our destination safely.

Here's another fun tidbit of how wonderful Honduran accents are. Two weekends ago Damaris (5th and 6th Science/Math teacher) and I went to the little beach town of Tela. After lots of sun and beach time, some really unsafe snorkeling (that story is for another post!) and lots of A/C, we had to come back home. After our short 5 hour bus ride back to Tegucigalpa we get dropped off in the middle of some neighborhood where we had no idea where we were. We were also low on battery and saldo on our phone. Saldo is credit for your cell. We were trying to arrange a taxi ride to the mall to meet our ride, but only had 80 lempiras. While managing to negotiate a price and destination, the taxi driver got confused. Damaris said we need to go to "metro mall". He had no clue. She repeated "metro mall". It was only after I used my sweet Honduran accent to roll my r's and say "metRRRRRRRO mall" that they got it. Really?? I'm pretty sure it's almost the same name.

4 comments:

Kel said...

LMAO!!!!!! I can totally here you practicing your accent and rolliNG your Rrrrrrrrs!!! I wish I could be there with you. MIssing my bff. Hugs!!!!!!! Also, I thought that you might like to know that even English speakers are having trouble "fleeping the line" in San Antonio!!!!!

Lacey said...

Ha! Too funny. How is your class this year??

Kel said...

They are great kids but academically they are VERY low. I have 5 out of 21 on an emergent (Kinder) reading level!!!!! I have my work cut out for me. How are yours? How are their reading levels?? Do you have to test their reading levels there???

LoriLyn said...

Oh thank heavens they finally got fleeped!