The first day was pretty good. I guess it's all the "newness" that makes it so much fun. The parents are cute. Almost all of them walked their kids to class and met me. I could speak very limited Spanish and some spoke very good English. The kids listen for the most part, and I found myself speaking very slowly and using a lot of hand gestures. Think that helps. I do have two new kids in class. Which means they may or may not have been getting a lot of teaching in English. One was a little stinker today. Talking while I was talking and stuff like that. He didn't understand what I was saying. He just nodded and smiled at everything I said, even when I was getting onto him. He had to sit out of recess but couldn't really tell me why. Lesson lost on that one. There's always tomorrow. I think I've got my work cut out for me with this one.
On a completely unrelated note, the trash here is complicated. It's divided into 4 categories. It takes recycling to a whole other level, if they really do recycle it, that is. First, there's "Papeles y Carton" (paper and cardboard). But not just ANY paper or cardboard. The kind that's not glossy or has writing. Then there's "Organicos". That's organics, y'all. But apparently it's not ALL organics. Like fat and bones can't go in there. Then we have "Envases". That's bottles and cans or anything with a lid on it. But not all plastics, so don't put just anything in there. That brings us to "Varios". That's Espanol for "various items that don't fit into any other category". We have daily discussions on the trash here.
Today my roommate and coworker, Damaris wasn't feeling well. I know, on the first day of school!! Sucks. Well, after school we were talking about it. She said she felt like she had to throw up during the school day and didn't know where to go. I told her I was pretty sure it would go in "Varios". We had a good laugh.
Tuesday, August 10, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
so glad you could find the humor in knowing where to throw up. :) Miss you like crazy and need a skype date soon!!!!!!!!!
Haha. Good one :)
Post a Comment