Saturday, July 31, 2010

Don't shoot!

Here in Honduras 3 teachers share a house and about 4 houses down another 3 teachers share a house. I've been hanging at the big house because no one else is in my house yet and I don't have internet. I walk home at the end of the night. Except the other night was my first night to walk home by myself.

My directions were go past the three trash bins, turn left and that's your house. Ok. Simple enough. So I walk down with my flashlight and turn left. Easy enough except the houses look the same and I've only been living in mine for 1 day. How am I going to know which one is mine, especially from the back? So I walk down from the backyard and get a little confused. I thought my door was on the other side, that can't be mine. But that one over there doesn't look like mine either. So I walk back out to the street, yup, three trash bins. So I go back in the backyards and try to find something familiar. Here I am wondering around my and my neighbor's backyards trying to figure out where I live. I am literally traipsing all over the yards trying not to trip on tree roots or run into clothes lines. All I can think is please don't let someone think I'm trying to rob them and shoot me. I finally figure out that if I go to the front of the house I might be able to figure it out. I see big ceramic shingles all strewn about the front yard. Finally!! Something I recognize. Our roof is getting "fixed". I say "fixed" because I haven't seen anyone working on it yet. I have never been so glad to see ceramic shingles in my life!

2 comments:

Unknown said...

That is hillarious Lacey! I can't wait to skype with you :0)

Kel said...

Can't wait to see pics of the ceramic shingles and the honduran wildlife, aka HUGE geckos!!!