Today is my second day in Honduras. Let me recap it for ya...
Headed out from Austin around 5:30 in the morning. It was hard to say goodbye to my family. Really hard. But as the plane engines started, so did my adventure.
In Atlanta I almost didn't make my connecting flight to Teguc because we sat trying to get into the gate for 40 minutes.
I finally get to the plane and the guy tells me in broken English that I'm the last one to get on. Great!! Made it.
Turns out there were lots of last people. One of them was one of the teachers I'll be working with, Daniel. We had no idea we'd be on the same flight.I recognized him from facebook and we got to sit together. How cool is that?
We go through customs and immigration alright. Five bags is a lot, especially when you have to carry it and the Hondurans just look at you like you crazy white lady. Naomi, another teacher I'll be working with, picked us up and helped carry my bags. She is from Australia and I love the way she says words like lamp (laaamp) darling (dahling).
We went to see our school and then went to see our houses. I'm in the smaller house with 2 other girls. One teacher has lived here and one is new. Both of them aren't here right now, so I've got the place to myself. Kind of lonely, but ok. Then we went to eat at a local restaurant and had a plato tipico. I also had my hand held by one of the parents at the school that knew Naomi. Awkward!
Then we went shopping. I got cereal, milk and sandwich stuff. Easy enough. We came home and played a few games and drank rum and coke. Not my fave usually, but with lime it rocks!!
Last night I unpacked (that took awhile!)showered and got ready for bed. In the kitchen I found a new friend. A HUGE gecko on the wall. I freaked for a second, then
realized my new Geico friend had a bug in his mouth. Good boy! I guess that'll be ok, then. You eat the bugs, I don't kill you, k?
Today I woke up, kind of a little sad, but not as sad as I thought I'd be. I thought, what am I doing here? Maybe it's because no one was in the house. And everything is different. My house isn't home yet, I didn't like the cereal I bought at the store and I have an awful fluorescent light in my room. Ha! These are not big things, but those are the things I thought of this morning. Then when I went to Naomi and Daniel's house, things got better.
We went into Teguc (the capital) to the mall and ate at the food court. I had Popeyes. Then we had some soft serve ice cream, Things are really rough down here, huh!
Went went to Hiper, I think that's what it's called. It's Honduran Wal-Mart. No really, Wal-Mart owns it. Then we went to Lacha--like a Hope Depot. Lots of cool things there.
That brings me to the driving. Kind of a shit show. Not sure what the laws are, but you have to be aggressive. I haven't even driven yet. In the words of Naomi, "The only law is to not get yourself killed." Awesome. Survive. I can get into that.
We ended that day by ordering pizza. Yes, we ordered pizza. It came to the house. We had to meet them at the gate and tell the guard we ordered pizza. By the way we have guards here. We live and work on a college campus. There are guards here 24 hours a day. Kind of weird, but safe.
Thursday, July 29, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
glad to know you are settling in and finding familiar things, home depot, wal-mart, popeyes, the important stuff. I miss you like crazy and you haven't even been gone 72 hours yet. I have decided to live vicariously through you and your awesome adventures. Can I count on you???? Love ya sister!
Miss you already! Bowen sends Aunt LaLa kisses!
Of course you can count on me Kel! And kisses back to Bowen!l
I think you're smart to strike up a deal with that gecko. I also think that I would probably NEVER drive if I lived there. I'm not for aggressive driving. Aah!
Post a Comment