Tuesday, November 10, 2009

Uranus, my second favorite planet

So today we started learning about the order of the planets. I didn't just tell them the order. No, that would be too easy!! What would NASA say? I tell you what they'd say, they'd say "Challenge these kids! Make them think so we can have them come work for us and maybe send them to space!" And my response would be..."Ok. But do I get to pick who goes? I got a few I would like to go today." I know this because we had a videoconference with NASA. They did not say that, but I bet they would have if we had some more time to chat. They did however, set us straight on the proper pronunciation of Uranus.

Today they had to figure out the order of planets from the sun by looking at the distance from the sun in kilometers. Then they had to order them nearest to farthest from the sun. Sounds easy, but we don't learn the billions or millions place value. And some of these planets are faaaa-aaaar. So you see how important it is to hand pick the groups I put them in, so at least someone in the group has a clue what's going on. As we're reflecting on what they did, the topic of Uranus comes up as it always does in "space talk". Way back in my elementary days I learned "your anus". Totally appropriate "space talk". Well, nowadays you say "your uh nus". So I'm open. I'm with it. I'll call it "your uh nus" if you want me to, NASA. So as I'm writing it on the board, there are snickers and whisper talk of "your anus". They don't know how to spell "because" but they know what an anus is? I know. Beyond me.

After writing Uranus, I say (in my best 3rd grade nanny nanny boo boo voice), "Nuh uh, it's "your uh nus". That's what NASA says."

So to NASA I say this, that which we call a Uranus by any other name would smell as sweet.

3 comments:

Chaya said...

Oh, Lacey...funny girl! I miss you!!! xoxo

LoriLyn said...

Thank you for enlightening me. Funny post. Good writing.

Lacey said...

Love and miss you Chachi!!

Consider yourself enlightened, Lori. Glad I could help, and thanks!