So today I went to the Special Olympics swimming competition. One student in my class along with several other students from our school and district were in the competition. If you've never been to an event like this, you should! It was amazing to see these kids and adults competing who wouldn't otherwise get a chance to show what they can do. They live in a world where they're constantly reminded of what they can't do and how they're different. There they are safe with so many people cheering them on and helping them. Even though my student got in the water, only to decide he didn't want to race, he still got a ribbon for trying. And really, isn't that half the battle?? Trying. Sure there was disappointment, but he is ready for the bowling competition later in the year and could care less about the swimming. When asked if he would try the swimming again later that day, he responded, "I don't want to take another swimming test!" We'll take that as a no.
Sunday, September 27, 2009
Special Olympics--more than just special
This year I have two Life Skills students in my class. One of them comes into the room for morning work and Science. The other one only comes by in the morning to say "hi!" and then goes back to his room. I will be completely honest in saying that before the year started I was super nervous to have these kids in my class. I don't have any experience or training (not real training at least!) in special education or high needs students. They have really exceeded my expectations and are so much fun to have in class.
So today I went to the Special Olympics swimming competition. One student in my class along with several other students from our school and district were in the competition. If you've never been to an event like this, you should! It was amazing to see these kids and adults competing who wouldn't otherwise get a chance to show what they can do. They live in a world where they're constantly reminded of what they can't do and how they're different. There they are safe with so many people cheering them on and helping them. Even though my student got in the water, only to decide he didn't want to race, he still got a ribbon for trying. And really, isn't that half the battle?? Trying. Sure there was disappointment, but he is ready for the bowling competition later in the year and could care less about the swimming. When asked if he would try the swimming again later that day, he responded, "I don't want to take another swimming test!" We'll take that as a no.
The scene
Action shot. A student from our school.
So today I went to the Special Olympics swimming competition. One student in my class along with several other students from our school and district were in the competition. If you've never been to an event like this, you should! It was amazing to see these kids and adults competing who wouldn't otherwise get a chance to show what they can do. They live in a world where they're constantly reminded of what they can't do and how they're different. There they are safe with so many people cheering them on and helping them. Even though my student got in the water, only to decide he didn't want to race, he still got a ribbon for trying. And really, isn't that half the battle?? Trying. Sure there was disappointment, but he is ready for the bowling competition later in the year and could care less about the swimming. When asked if he would try the swimming again later that day, he responded, "I don't want to take another swimming test!" We'll take that as a no.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
This looks awesome!
Post a Comment