Sunday, September 27, 2009

And my super power would be...playing the piano.

As I was downloading some music for my classroom (Canon in D to be precise--one of my absolute faves!!), I remembered that I used to play the piano. Took lessons and everything! We have a piano at my parents' house that my brother and I spent countless hours practicing on. Okay, so maybe I didn't spend THAT many hours practicing, but you get the point. We did spend lots of minutes playing together perfecting "heart and soul". I actually didn't like to practice. Cody didn't either. I can vividly remember one time getting chewed out by my teacher because I didn't practice. I sucked just as bad as I did the week before when I was there and she wasn't having it. Made me cry and everything. The nerve!! Well, now as a teacher, I get it.

It's funny how you can totally forget something like that! Like it took some serious piano music to remind me of that little part of myself. I also remember how my dad just loved to listen to us. He was so encouraging and would endure all the wrong notes, frustrated sighs and bitching we did. Mom would too of course, but dad would say, "I just love to listen. Play more!". My mom always wanted to take lessons and I often think of buying her lessons from our same teacher. She lives two houses down from us. Wonder if she still teaches and if mom would still like that?!

My grandparent's also had a baby grand piano at their farm house. My Aunt Pam played the piano too. I can remember going to visit and having to take my piano books. I was like, "UGGGHHH! I can't even believe you're making me practice at Mema and Papa's house!! I want to have fun and you want me to play the piiiiiiaaaaano?????" So I would sometimes play "chopsticks", "heart and soul", and "I dropped my dolly in the dirt..." instead of my regular music. Mema didn't know the difference. What a rebel I was.

Now I am struck with the sudden urge to go to my parents' house, find my old music (probably something from the Karate Kid--Part 1, since that was around my prime piano playing days) and tickle the ivories. That's musician talk for playing the piano-fyi. Ya picking up what I'm laying down??


Heart and Soul? Can't even tell you how much Cody and I wanted this!!!

2 comments:

Kel said...

good times on the Marwitz's piano were had by all. Even those of us who knew and still know nothing about pianos!! ha!

Lacey said...

ha! yes, good times were had by all! next time you're in town, i'll play you a tune!