Wednesday, September 09, 2009

At least they spelled all the words right

So today I got my second, count them--second!, "I hate you" note. But today all the words were spelled correctly. That's progress.

Here's the story on the original note. Quite comical.

So I have a kid with some behavior issues. Pretty severe behavior issues. Enough said about that. Well, it was suggested that instead of redirecting verbally, I try to give this student choices on a post-it. Ok, I'm game. First post-it read:
1. Do your work now.
2. Do your work at recess.

Pretty reasonable I think--but what do I know!! So this child proceeds to crumble it up and throw it in the trash can. So, of course I ignore the behavior. Pick your battles, and all that. Not a few moments later, he has found his Math problem from earlier (also written on a post-it) and written his own little message. This is how I'm imagining it going down in his head, "Oh really? We're using post-its now? This is how we're rolling? Ok. Watch this." So as I'm sitting in my desk, talking with my co-teacher that helps me stay sane, he comes up and shows me his post-it. You guessed it! Except it reads, "I hite you."

The second note I got today was written on a tiny piece of paper and "hate" was spelled correctly. At least this kid is learning from his mistakes AND saving the rain forest.

Don't worry about me folks, I'm not letting this kid in my bubble. It's like a super bubble that's made out of duct tape, but the kind you can see through. Maybe like packing tape? Yup! Not letting you in my bubble. Can't bother me. Now if I could only do the same thing with all the other crap that is piling up on me I'd be good to go.

2 comments:

Kel said...

You are hilarious. Way to go on not letting the behavior issue kid get to you. Now, if that attitude could last all year you'd have a fantastic year! You are a wonderful teacher, Ms. Marwitz!

LoriLyn said...

I love it. Love the story and the post-its. So funny. You rock on with that bubble. You will survive!