Wednesday, April 13, 2005
Urban sprawl is a beeeaaaaach.
I haven't really posted on this topic because I think everyone knows where I stand on this. My friends and family have to hear it all the time. How I'm boycotting Wal-Mart, what about our land and wildlife?, and the many expletives that fly out when I talk about all of the building going on around me. But, fuck!!!!!! I really can't go anywhere anymore without being in some sort of construction traffic where I'm forced to look at all of the beautiful land they've ruined because God knows we don't have enough Wal-Marts. If I shopped at Wal-Mart, I would be willing to drive a little farther, we don't need one on every corner. And that mall they're building on the land where my brother and I used to play ball? Yeah, I don't want that either. That's the whole point of living in the suburbs. You don't have to deal with the in-the-city bullshit. It's not just about that. I don't think that these big companies realize that once the land is gone, it's gone. Need I remind them that it is limited resource? Maybe I should write them? (I like to write letters to people expressing my concerns. I get this from my mom.) Not their problem, I guess. I know, it's all about money and convenience-I get it. I'm just not very happy about it. When all of it started, I tried to devise a plan that would prevent them from building on the land. For example, Barton Springs has the endangered salamanders. I wanted to transplant some kind of endangered species. That really didn't pan out. And Bush wanted to drill for oil in Alaska? Here's a plan: let's not be do dependent on oil. Okay, I'm off the topic. I'm not preaching because I consume just as much as anybody. I don't drive a hybrid, I don't always buy recycled products, and I let the water run while I'm brushing my teeth. But I'm trying to be better. And I'm not a lipstick liberal that wants all of this shit built, but just not in my neighborhood. I don't want it built at all. I know that's never going to happen and growth is inevitable. I'm just really disappointed in our government, more specifically our president. Now there's the understatement of the year.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment