Tuesday, March 29, 2005

My experience with the Unemployment Office

Apparently I was selected to receive "priority assistance in my job search". What they really mean is you have to come to this meeting or we won't send you your unemployment check. I went to this meeting this morning. I didn't have any idea of what to expect. In the parking lot, a girl flags me down and asks if I'm going to the class and asks if we can walk in together. I'm like-ok. Come to find out, my new friend (Yolanda is her name) was convicted of assault and is having a hard time finding a new job. She was really nice. She was hired for a new job in her field and quit her old job. After her new job found out about her record, they told her they couldn't employ her. And there she was-no job. I told her how my services were no longer needed at the law firm and how I was in a program to teach. We laughed and cried together. Just kidding. In our meeting they encouraged us to use all of their services that they provide at no cost to us. They also encouraged us to apply for food stamps. I think I'm going to leave the food stamps to the people that really need it, but thanks for the offer. We also watched a video on a motivational speaker who told us to go out and get our dream job. He told us to let go of our anger for our previous employer. Ha! The whole experience was funny. It was a crazy mix of people. There were teenage, tough looking boys and girls, older people, and Yolanda and I. If I don't post for a while, I'm looking for my dream job-ok?

PS-If anyone knows of a Medical Assistant position-Yolanda would really appreciate a good lead.

No comments: