Sunday, July 01, 2012

A Little Perspective

I think that everyone should live in a developing country, or any other country at that. At least for a little bit. It really helps you to appreciate just how good we have it here. And also makes you think how weird things are all at the same time.

Here are the things I noticed and appreciate:
1. Flushing toilet paper. I'm amazed each time I come back. Like, what? You want me to put ALL THIS down the toilet?! Um...ok...
2. Organization and signs. It's like any idiot can figure out how to get around the U.S. Genius!
3. All these English speakers. I know everything you're saying! And I can speak back to you! Clearly. And you totally understand me. Sounds simple, yet so profound.
4. Auntie Annie's pretzels. These are uh-maze! Can't find those things in Honduras.
5. Chocolate. Like 20 different kinds. And you say if I buy two bags I get a better deal? I'm sold.
6. Magazines. In English. That are from this month. THIS MONTH! OF THIS YEAR!
7. Lines. And people staying in them and waiting their turns. Sooooo civilized and pretentious. 

And all this is only the first 10 minutes in the Houston airport. You can imagine how I'm looking at the world. It's mostly overwhelming, but things are pretty awesome here.

*About #2. There is another story here how I accidentally ended up on a toll road and had my picture snapped twice just 4 days after this post happened. So maybe not EVERY idiot can figure it out.

No comments: