Friday, February 04, 2011

The birthday party of Andre

So once you've been teaching English Language Learners you start to take on some of their habits. Like instead saying "I'm going to the bathroom" I'll say "I go to the bathroom". Or I'll say, "Today we had the birthday party of Andre" instead of correctly stating "Today we had Andre's birthday party". I really have to watch it and check to make sure that what I'm saying makes sense in English. I think it also comes from speaking Spanish to parents then switching back to English with the kids. We're all sort of hearing our English get worse. I can only imagine what's going on in Kinder.

Although I'm losing my English, I still got it for the most part. It's awesome when they actually get my jokes. Like, actually get them and not just uncomfortably laughing because I'm laughing. They are understanding more and more English. I'm so proud.

On another note, I have a student (who is probably the least proficient English speaker in our class) who loves to have me say Spanish words that are difficult to pronounce and then laugh. It's all in good fun. But sometimes I want to tell him that people that live in "low English proficiency" houses shouldn't be throwing Spanish words. Just sayin'. Not that he'd understand that or that I'd stoop to my 8 year old self. It would be funny, though.

I go relax now. Happy weekend!

1 comment:

Kel said...

Yay! a new post. :) Hope the birthday party of Andre was fun. Love ya bunches.