Wednesday, June 02, 2010

Softball Wednesdays=rained out

That's a good thing, though. It has really cooled us off down here in the pits of hell, um...I mean "spring" in Texas. Really, not sure about moving to Honduras. I really did try to find a job in a colder climate, but it seems that this Texan is destined for some more heat. Awesome.

On a completely unrelated note, here's what's going on in my life right now:

1. The last day of school is tomorrow. This is awesome and sad. It's crazy how you can literally have both of these emotions at the same time.
Awesome=sleeping in, summer time freedom, vacay, new adventures, traveling the word, new friends
Sad=always sad to have your class leave, leaving my school, old friends and coworkers, hard to leave AMERICA!!

2. Since it's the last day of school, we will be having a talent show. And you should see the talent! No really, you should come by tomorrow at 8:00 am to see this talent. It rocks!

Some of the acts include break dancing, a jump rope routine, a "Beat It" dance with real Michael Jackson choreography (that's ours), singing in English AND Spanish, dancing to songs in English AND Spanish, a "Thriller" dance with real Michael Jackson choreography, and a flash mob (3rd grade!!).

Break a leg talent show participants!!

3. Spoiler alert!! Old Yeller!!
I just finished reading Old Yeller to my class. It's a classic, plus I'm a sucker for animals. If you don't know the story, then stop reading here!!

Okay, I was an emotional basket case. I started to cry at the part where Old Yeller gets hurt about halfway through the book. You see, Old Yeller got into it pretty bad with some wild pigs. His insides were tore up pretty good and Travis had a huge gash on his leg. Old Yeller was protecting Travis. So here I am crying. AND I KNEW HE WAS GOING TO SURVIVE!! I have read the book before.

A student had to read it for the class. Ridiculous! One of my girls that has read it says, "Wow. I'm not sure you want to keep reading." This is her way of saying, "Good God, lady. What are you going to do when Old Yeller actually dies!! Are we going to have to get a sub??"

I tried to read the last part where Travis has to shoot Old Yeller and I can hardly stand it because I'm really trying not to cry now. Kids are handing me tissues and looking at me worried. Defeated, I handed the book to the designated reader so she can finish up the sad part. One student reaches her hand up and holds mine so I can soldier through it. Sweet. And ridiculous. I know this!!

We survive the end of the book and talk about it. Then we watched the movie and compared the two. Surprisingly, the movie didn't move me as much. The book is almost always better. The class was ready, though. Precious kids.

1 comment:

Justin, Kris, and Bowen said...

I had an almost exact 3rd grade experience but mine was with Where the Red Fern Grows.