A full day of interviews is not for the faint of heart. By the last interview I was wiped out!
Here's how it all panned out:
Colombia--awesome school and director but they had no definite elementary openings. Awwww man! That's alright.
Turkey--wasn't even CONSIDERING this part of the world. In fact, I was trying to stay away from anywhere near the middle east. Everyone said how amazing it is, so I thought I'd give it a try. Well, the job was only teaching English 3-4 40 minute sessions a day. Sounds easy right? But they may not speak any English. Doesn't sound so bad until you start thinking that you have to command their attention, BUT THEY DON'T KNOW WHAT THE HELL YOU'RE SAYING. Regular classroom management skills do not apply. Plus, the school was a national school, and most people only speak Turkish at the school. I thought I might have a hard time assimilating into the school culture and the real culture. Still thinking it sounds ok? Well, did I mention they told me that Turkish parents do not discipline their children? And that little Johnny and Suzy are considered like gods in their parents' eyes? Yeah, um no. Turkey is out. That's alright.
China--a workaholic society. Have I said enough here? First year teachers working until 6, 7 or 8 at night. That's alright. Next!
Korea--pretty cool school and very cool director and principal. Very laid back at the interview. It is a brand new school, so no definite positions yet. Man!! That's alright.
Ecuador--neat school. Now by this time I am just exhausted. And so are the people interviewing. They pretty much made all the offers they wanted and were just seeing me as a formality. Plus, they weren't even looking at me while I was talking. I'll be the first to admit that what I was saying wasn't profound, but still! I was getting off track from what I was saying because they were distracting me with their distraction. Shoulda called a spade a spade in the beginning of the interview. This just isn't gonna work out, is it? That's what I thought. That's alright.
So after 5 interviews on Sunday with no other job offers (Totally ok!! Wasn't meant to be.) I accepted the job in Honduras. Yay!! I'm going to Tegucigalpa, Honduras.
Tuesday, February 23, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
Was so excited to get your text the other night! I can't wait to hear all about it and come visit. I have a feeling you will just love it there. Nicole and Larry are 100 miles from there as we speak, or I should say, as I type. :)
I'm so excited for you! I can't wait to celebrate your new job.
***HUGS***
Jo
Post a Comment