Wednesday, February 24, 2010

Learning to read fluffy

The other day in my class I pulled a small group to practice reading fluently. We're reading a book about Jacques Cousteau. I just love saying it too, "Jacques Cousteau group, come meet me at the table!" Except it's "Jjjjjaaaawk Cuuuustoooo". Love it.

Anyway, as any good teacher will tell you, my ultimate goal is to get them to do things independently and reflect. So as we're reading, I'm asking why it's important to practice reading familiar texts or plays. I'm playing a sort of fill-in-the-blank game. Like, "Who can tell me why it's important to practice reading? Hmmmm?" No one answers. "Ok. We're practicing so we can read..." Blank stares. "So we can read...it starts with an f..." To which I get the response, "FLUFFY!!

There it is. The future. Reading fluffy.

2 comments:

Kel said...

I wish my second graders would read fluffy, too! :) love your kids, wish I'd of had the chance to meet them.

LoriLyn said...

Sounds like the perfect answer. I like it!