Thursday, January 07, 2010

A visit to my homeland

Or at least that of my dad's side of the family. Today we planned a trip over Spring Break to Germany. I use the word 'plan' loosely. We merely bought the tickets today, the planning part is to come. My grandfather on my dad's side, Big Papa (he was called that because I had another Papa that was of a smaller frame that we called 'Little Papa') and grandmother, Mema, were German. Their parents immigrated here from Germany. They spoke fluent German and had to learn English in school. Big Papa (pronounce paw paw, not poppa--like Biggie) also fought in World War II and was stationed in Germany.

I always heard German being spoken growing up, but didn't really know it was German. For instance, my dad's aunt was named Tantawine. Sort of. Her name was Alwine. We called her Tante Wine because Tante means 'aunt' in German. Didn't really get that till I was in high school. Kind of like I always thought misdemeanor meant 'crime' in Spanish. The signs would always read "It is a crime (misdemeanor) to consume wine or beer on these premises." Makes sense right? Turns out misdemeanor is a type of crime. Who knew?

I am super stoked to drink Gluhwein and eat schnitzel.

1 comment:

Chaya said...

I am sooooo happy for you! The homeland! Awesome!