Wednesday, December 02, 2009

When life gives you lemons, you make lemonade...totally

On Monday after a week off, one of my students comes up to class with a spring in his step and a brown paper bag in his hand. He just hands it to me and says, "Here!". So I open it, and see what I think are four huge oranges. "Cool! Oranges. I love oranges!", I say with excitement, although I was a pleasantly surprised to be getting the fruit. "Nooooo. They're lemons...(long silence followed by my confused face)...to make lemonade!! We got them from my grandparents' trees."

Now if that isn't the sweetest thing you ever heard, then you're dead inside. It doesn't hurt that this kid is one of my faves. He's just so sweet and happy. A truly precious kid. I think the message here is: sometimes someone will really hand you lemons, so you get some water and splenda and make some damn lemonade. I took that message to heart.

3 comments:

Justin, Kris, and Bowen said...

love it! thanks for sharing

Chaya said...

Really, splenda? LOL!!

Lacey said...

Ha! Splenda's all I had!