Thursday, November 12, 2009

THIS is how you educate and inspire

Today for our writing fluency practice we did a quick write on the following prompt "Write a story about young people that get lost in a cave."

Only in my class would the following happen. Kid you not, two stories from my class, I'm paraphrasing of course.

Story #1: Ms. Marwitz and her friends were walking in a cave one day. They all got separated. Then Ms. Marwitz was walking on her own. When, out of nowhere Michael Jackson jumped out. She was very happy because she is a big fan. Then they started dancing together, she always wanted to dance with Michael Jackson! They did the Thriller dance. Later on when she told her friends, they were all jealous because they were all fans too.


Story # 2: Some young kids were walking in a cave. They came to two tunnels. They decided to take the left tunnel. Michael Jackson was dancing to Thriller in that tunnel. They got so scared they ran out!


Side note: I promise that I am not starting a Michael Jackson cult. I just teach them the Thriller dance, but only if they want to learn it. And it's not tied in any way to their grades. Sometimes we dance to his music on Fridays or when we get rewards. I also do not grade them on their dancing skills. Thankfully.

2 comments:

LoriLyn said...

You crack me up. So does story #2. That IS how you educate and inspire. This is also how you educate and inspire. You do a conga line with the entire fourth grade through each room and around our hallway to- you guessed it- Michael Jackson's thriller THIS morning! I kid you not!!

Lacey said...

Nice. I love it Lori!