Thursday, October 01, 2009

Just a small town girl, livin' in a loooonely world

You know what makes my heart sing? Singing and dancing with my class. Today we sang and danced to Glee's remake of "Don't Stop Believin'". I know what you're thinking. What? When? Huh? How do you have time to teach the TEKS, TAKS and asses when you're dancing and singing in your classroom????? In my defense, they earned their right to dance today. We dance on Fridays, but that's to celebrate a week of hard work-that's a given. Well, we have started a "Manners chart". So every time I hear them using please, thank you, ma'am, my pleasure, etc. I make a tally mark. Once we have ten, we have a special class game or dancing at the end of the day. Before you think they've got this in the bag, let me introduce you to the flip side. If I hear ANY negative talk or rudeness, I erase tallies one at a time. Then, if someone complains or is ugly to the person that lost the tally mark, I erase ALL of them. Hello flip side. This hasn't happened yet. Welcome to my ship. I run it pretty tightly.

Today we got ten. Only took us one day. It. Was. Awesome. Had loads of fun. Nice to just let loose! I think that manners and respect are just as important as Math and Reading. People aren't born knowing how to act and be tolerant, they learn it. So, this is my contribution to society. It may be small, but it is significant. Plus, we get to sneak in a little fun in when nobody's looking. :)

2 comments:

Kel said...

I want to be a Marwitz monkey!!!!

LoriLyn said...

I'm all for singing, dancing, GLEE, Don't Stop Believin', manners and a tight ship. Love it!