It's funny. February has come and gone, and I forgot to celebrate the 1st year anniversary of getting laid off from my previous job (you know, the one working for the man and not the children). It's funny how time can slip away from you. I know it's so cliche, but I couldn't have imagined all this would have happened.
I'd like to take a few moments to compare/contrast the two jobs. If I could, I would totally use a Venn diagram to get my point across, but I'm not sure how to drag it into blogger. Yeah, it's like a Reading lesson up in here.
Similarities
-At my old job, I was the low man on the totem pole. Now I teach about totem poles.
-Politics.
-Miscommunications. This is a biggie. I’m sure we can all agree that there are people who just lack the skills to effectively communicate.
-Supplies-although the school does have a better assortment. We’re talking crayons and pencils galore!
-Meetings! My schedule is one big list of people to meet/talk/discuss/plan/collaborate/ with.
Differences
-Executive lunches. Now I’m lucky if I get to scarf my food and plan my Science lesson in 10 minutes.
-Lice. Nuff said.
-The hours. I do miss that hourly schedule. Now it’s to do lists and late nights.
-My kids. I do love them.
-Parents-they sure do have a lot of trust in me!
-Everyday is an adventure in my classroom. Seriously, you never know from day to day what the hell will happen.
-Men. There just aren’t any.
-R-E-S-P-O-N-S-I-B-I-L-I-T-Y
-No lawyers.
-School psychologists.
-Behavior plans.
-Career Day.
-Field trips.
-Smoke breaks.
-My views on public education. I'm not going to get into all that, but there's some real shit out there.
-Lunch for $2.50. But somehow I still manage to rack up a $70 tab.
Just a few interesting tidbits.
Happy Laid Off Anniversary to me.
In other news:
-I have been reintroduced to my treadmill. Mucho gusto!
-I have also joined a Yoga class. Om.
-I have also joined a sand volleyball team. Go Sand Fleas!
-I am getting a hefty tax refund.
-Since I am getting a hefty return, I shall be saying goodbye to one of my Chase card accounts. So long sucka!
Thursday, March 02, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment