Reflection is a powerful tool. As I get home at 5:30 on a Wednesday night (I totally thought I’d be home by 4:00 for Oprah each day), I'm forced to think about where I am right now and where I've been. My job is fulfilling. It is also a ton of work. It is worth it when I hear my kids talk about something that they have learned or when I see them be so sweet to each other. Last year around this time I was filing papers and updating resumes online. Oh a whim (sort of) I decided to get my Teaching Certificate. My, my how I’ve come a long way. The work that I’m doing now actually impacts somebody and I am seriously earning every cent of my salary. I only hope that some of the stuff we’re doing in 4th grade actually sticks. This job has given me a whole new perspective. Some people just shouldn’t have kids. If you can’t give them a loving, supportive home life, just don’t have kids. It’s so sad and I want to take them home with me.
Sometimes I feel like I’m finally where I’m supposed to be and sometimes I feel like I’m a huge fraud. I’m actually learning in 4th grade too. It’s amazing how much I’ve forgotten-or maybe I never learned it. A favorite phrase of mine is, “What do you think?” This is code for, “I really don’t know, don’t ask me.” I am happy and amazed and tired and stressed and overwhelmed all at the same time. It’s a good feeling. It’s been awhile, so I almost didn’t recognize the happiness sneaking in there. But I’m glad it’s here and I hope it stays awhile.
I love my job, it’s my favorite time of year, and I bought a brand-new-fancy-pants mattress. Life is goooooood.
Wednesday, November 02, 2005
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment