Wednesday, September 14, 2005

5th week update

It's the 5th week of school!!! I can't believe it. So much has happened. Next week I'll be finishing up testing my kids for their reading levels and entering grades and pulling my eyelashes out one at a time. Oh my god. I'm the teacher.

I had my first parent conference and I think it was a success? It was with one of my "behaviorally challenged" kids. I was positive. The mom was receptive. Her child sits away from the other groups facing my desk. Yeah-it's that serious.

Sometimes I can't take myself seriously. So much of my day is spent trying to outsmart 4th graders. We have a Voice Volume Chart. The other day I totally said, "Um, you're at a 10 and I'm going to need you at a 4." Who the hell really says that? Me, apparently.

Today we had a fire drill. I didn't have my class in my room at the time. I had another teacher's class that I teach Math. I didn't tell them that we were having a drill. You should have seen their faces. They did well.

I'm glad to say that Shark Bait has made a full recovery. It was touch-and-go for awhile there. Actually, I think he was dying. He was alive, but he was totally floating. He's a fighter. He just kept swimming down to the bottom of his bowl. His little fins were going so fast! I had to have the talk with the kids since I was afraid he wouldn't make it through the night. They were precious. They wanted to pray for him and have a "proper burial" if he died. One kid did say that it was just a fish and oh well if he dies. Little stinker! Anyway, I changed his water and cleaned his bowl and alas is alive!!

That's about all for now.

PS-If my life seems a little juvenile, that's because it is.

No comments: