Monday, January 24, 2005

Workaholic...not really.

I have a serious problem. It's called: "take too much vacation". That's the technical term. I refer to it as: "aw fuck it, you only live once." Even though I just got back from vacation, I'm leaving again in two weeks to go to Colorado to attempt to snowboard again. I don't really have the money, but my boss gave me the time off with no hesitation. So, I'm going snowboarding. It's a spur of the moment, Angela found a good deal on Orbitz kind of thing. I have a feeling that I'll be all by myself on the bunny slopes because everyone else knows how to ski without completely eating shit. That's ok. I'm excited. Hopefully I'm in better shape than I was last year. It was a rough time, but so much fun.

Here's a rundown of our trip to Steamboat last year:

Day 1: I flew into Denver and traveled on a freezing ass bus to Steamboat. I saw mountains and some real snow for the first time in my life. This day was the absolute coldest I've ever been.
Day 2: The first day of skiing. Lessons? I don't need no stinking lessons. I get on the lift just fine, but fell getting off and the operator had to come over and help me get up. It scared the crap out of me and I took off my skis and WALKED down the bunny slopes in search of some lessons. I wasn't about to try skiing down that huge hill! I know, I'm a baby. I took some lessons but I never really mastered the stopping part. After some skiing on flat surfaces we were supposed to get on the lift again. I was freaked out. The instructor rode up the lift with me and when I made it off without falling I celebrated. I had no idea what was ahead of me. I fell about 10 times on the way down. I had to take my skis off each time I fell. I ran into many people at the bottom of the hill. I was done for the day. Patience isn't one of my strongest qualities.
Day 3: I could hardly move and I had a huge bruise on my shin from my damn ski boot. I sat this day out so I could try snowboarding the next day.
Day 4: We all got our snowboards and took lessons. The instructors were really good and this was easier for me. I'm not saying that I didn't bust my ass every time I got up on the board, but I definitely felt more comfortable doing this. I spent the rest of the day on the baby hill.
Day 5: I snowboarded the baby hill all day. I did make a little bit of progress. I actually made it down one whole time without falling.

I should also mention that in the night time we listened to some bad ass Texas music and drank lots of beer. Shiner Light to be exact. Ew. And when you drink lots of Shiner Light and have to visit the port-a-potty with layers of clothes on, it makes it very interesting.

I'm hoping that I can remember how to pretend to snowboard. Statistically I should be better this year, but I'm not making any promises. We're going at night too. Now that will be very interesting.






No comments: