Tuesday, November 09, 2004

The ties that bind

About 4 weeks ago my grandmother fell and broke her hip. She had to have surgery and is now in a rehab hospital. It has been an experience for all of us. She hates it there. My family tries to visit her everyday. Every time we show up, she is so happy we're there that she cries. It's precious. I go to visit when I get off of work, which is dinner time for them. Last night I met some of her little friends, and they're so cute. Some of their stories are very sad, though. She doesn't like some of the people there (staff included), and she's 80 years old and stubborn, so there's no reasoning with her. She will say out loud in front of people, "I don't like that old man" or "This girl just talks and talks and talks." Sometimes we have to shhhhh her. She is normally a very sweet grandma, but watch out if you get on her shit list. Did I mention that she smokes like a chimney and hasn't smoked once while in this place? I'm surprised she hasn't tried to wheel herself to the store to get some smokes. Her only health problem is her athritis. She can hardly use her hands and it's hard for her to get around, but she does. Before her hands got so bad, she used to knit, sew and crochet among other things. Yesterday I told her that I was trying to learn how to crochet and you would have thought I said I was going to be a doctor. She was so proud. I wish she could still teach me all of these things. She has great stories. I hope we can always remember them. One, in particular is when she was a little girl (she is one of 8 children) on the farm. At Christmas time they would put rags soaked in kerosene on the end of these wire things they made. Then they'd twirl them around. I think they actually threw them also. I believe "kerosene balls" is the technical term of the game. The first sparklers? We didn't believe that they actually did this, but even her sister agreed. I just want to soak her up and everything she's experienced in her lifetime. She has such a strong will. She has buried her husband and her son. She saves ziploc bags because she's been through the depression. She says things like "I swanny". If I'm lucky, she's me in 55 years.

She is doing great, though. She's so tough and hopefully she'll be good as new when she gets out. I am so blessed to have such a wonderful grandma and to have her in my life. :)

No comments: