When Chaya and I went to Florida this summer we went to New Smyrna Beach. It was great-Florida beaches are almost tropical compared to Texas beaches. At one point, about 20 feet away from me I thought I saw a shark and it took all I could to not scream "SHAAAAAAAAARK" at the top of my lungs and rush everyone out of the water. Instead I just called to Chaya to tell her to get the hell out because I thought I saw a shark and started walking towards the shore. She was about 10 feet away on the other side of me. Thoughts that went through my head: 1) what the hell are all these people doing having fun when there's a shark over there? aren't they paying attention? 2) can we beat this shark to the shore? 3) I shouldn't have drank so much, I didn't plan on outrunning a shark! Upon further inspection, it was a dolphin. That was a close one. It was so cool-I had never seen them that close up in the wild before (in Mexico I got to swim with a dolphin, or rather float in the water close to a dolphin). Seeing that dolphin was nice, but immediately I thought, if there's a dolphin, there could be a shark. I am so afraid of the ocean it's not even funny. I usually don't go out very far, just enough to cool off. The only reason that I was even out that far in the first place is because I had had a few cocktails. Those damn cocktails.
PS-My "shark" tale is not nearly as good as Chaya's stories. She has actually seen sharks near her. She is from Florida afterall.
No comments:
Post a Comment