Friday, August 14, 2009

Happy B-day Dad!! (it's a big one!)

Today is my dad's birthday. I'm lucky enough not to be in school, along with my mom, so us 3 could celebrate his special day. First we went out to eat. Then we went to get my parents their passports--I was so proud of them. Then we went to Shepler's so he could get some new ostrich cowboy boots.

My dad is an absolute original. I think most dads are. He is a little crazy, very traditional, a true Texan, country, vocal, loves to make corny jokes and says things like "hotter than the hinges of hell" and "speed on brother, hell ain't half full". He is the most calm, patient person I know (most of the time). One of my favorite stories about him, that my mom still tells, is how when I was three I was home alone with my dad. Well, he needed to go to the hardware store. So, he got me dressed and let me wear my cowgirl boots with shorts. He saw nothing wrong with that. Of course when we were at the store, we saw someone we knew. Later on when my mom discovered I had been out in public like that and someone we knew actually witnessed it, she was mortified. It's awesome that dads don't think of stuff like that. It makes me smile that he didn't care what it looked like. Why not wear your boots with shorts?

Well, as dad was getting his boots today, I decided to get something at the store too. I haven't had cowgirl boots in years. I can't wait to wear them! And no, I won't be wearing them with shorts. Well, probably not.


Tonight we'll conclude the festivities by watching "An Inconvenient Truth" with Cody when he gets off work. Tomorrow we are off to celebrate by eating some big, juicy steaks at the Hoffbrau. And Sunday we are going to see my aunt so she can take her little brother out to eat.

3 comments:

LoriLyn said...

Woo hoo for Dads and for boots :)

Lacey said...

Dads are awesome, aren't they?

Amber said...

Happy Birthday Don! What a sweet post...