Tuesday, July 21, 2009

Buddha-ful

As most of you may know, I am on a spiritual journey. I halfway joke about it because it's not like I was ever really religious. I was baptized, we went to church most Sundays (I think we stopped sometime when I was in middle school?), I was confirmed and had a name tag. Hell, I even took communion! I haven't been to my church in years and I'm pretty sure they've trashed my name tag.

I started meditating in the last year or so because I have trouble just relaxing sometimes and want to be calmer. After yoga I always feel so relaxed, so thought I'd give meditation a try. Well, in learning about meditation I have learned a little about Buddhism.

So last Sunday I went to a Buddhist center for the "General Program: Prayers for World Peace". It was cool even though I was nervous and I don't know all of the traditions. The lesson for the day was loving people for who they are and not how we feel about them; letting go of things and not being attached; and how all beings want to be happy. Of course we spoke about how that fits into our daily lives. There was also a lot of singing. I didn't sing because I didn't know the songs and I thought mouthing "watermelon" would be inappropriate. Next time, maybe. It was nice to be around a bunch of people who are practicing compassion towards others--it just seems so simple!!

Our homework is to wish true happiness on all beings. Our teacher challenged us to even take it to insects and cockroaches. And defended them in saying how they don't know it's your house. They're just trying to be happy getting some water and food. They have no idea who you are. And I'm all...bust-ed. Was this teacher watching me? Why is he looking right at me? Cockroaches don't count do they? Apparently I have a new challenge in front of me. Don't kill the cockroaches and wish them happiness. Whoa--that's heavy. Later that very day I did get a chance to put it into practice. There was a spider on my bed (I know what you're thinking--do you live in a tent in the backyard? or...get an exterminator already!!) I got it to jump into a cup, put some paper on it and set it free in the backyard. While it scurried off I realized that I forgot to wish it happiness, so I yelled, "I wish you a long and happy life!" I hope it heard me.

On another note, upon coming home and sharing all of my new knowledge with Cody, he said, "I always knew you'd try Buddhism sometime." I was all "Really? I didn't even know I'd try it." To which he replied, "Yeah. Buddhists care about shit. And you care about shit."

And you know what? I do care about shit.



Update: To whomever spit out their gum in the parking lot which in turn caused me to get it all over both of my shoes, on my leg, inside and outside my car and on the floor mat--I changed my mind. I do wish you a long and happy life despite what I said earlier. K? We cool?

3 comments:

Chaya said...

Glad to see you are still on the path...sounds awesome! :)

LoriLyn said...

This is my favorite post yet :)

Kel said...

I am crying I am laughing soooo hard! I can hear Cody's voice saying that to you!